COMPLETE BRAND MANAGEMENT
Welcome to Markmaid
Markmaid was founded by Sarla Langdon in 1981 as a consultancy company specializing in creating marketing strategies for SMEs. Markmaid offers clients a cross-section of services from complete brand management to marketing proposals and strategies, product promotion, advertising and public relations campaigns, media buying, writing and editing of newsletters, brochures, house journals etc, using a group of highly qualified suppliers as required.
Markmaid has been responsible for the creation and implementation of several major local business initiatives including Industry Week, New Business Club, the West Wales Exporters Association, and the ERDF funded SME Inter-trading Network. Most recently, Markmaid has been playing an active role in Westminster as a member of the Downing Street Feedback Forum and as a member of the Cabinet Office SME panel.
What we do
Businesses need a focused marketing strategy in order to provide a clear and effective route to accomplishing business objectives - whether that may be brand awareness or lead generation. A strong marketing plan is fundamental.
- Strategic solutions to marketing problems - Media buying - Competitor and customer field & desk research - Marketing workshops for small groups
Advertising is an important but expensive medium and careful marketing planning is required to make sure that the right message goes out to the right target customer in the right medium. At the same time the main objective must be to achieve maximum reach at minimum cost.
- Communications strategy - Advertising campaigns - Media selection - Heavyweight copywriting - Complete above and below the line production - On site training in all aspects of advertising
Used in conjunction with an advertising campaign a good public relations programme adds credibility to your claims. Some small businesses can communicate effectively using only a PR campaign- half the cost of advertising.
- PR planning - Writing of press releases - Media selection - Onsite PR training
Markmaid proudly collaborate with the experts at Accent Creative to provide you with the full social media service. By joining forces with Swansea's longest running design agency, we are able to provide you with the most important part of your media plan. Markmaid utilise the thorough capabilities of the ten man Accent Creative for areas of design and web development to ensure our clients' complete satisfaction, and to guarantee quality is achieved with a trusted, established design agency. Accent Creative provide a wide range of skills and talents including illustration, website coding, copy writing and search engine optimisation.
Accent have worked with major brands including Thomson Holidays (Tui) Shimano, Walmart, Robert Bosch, Boots, Kodak, H&M, to name a few, and are equally passionate about helping smaller, local businesses, charities and start ups. Accent also benefit from Markmaid's decades of experience, providing outstanding marketing support for clients.
Langdon Rd in Swansea is named after Sarla Langdon’s late husband Keith Langdon
Sarla Langdon is a copy ‘heavyweight’ and founder of Markmaid.
Sarla trained at LINTAS (Unilever) and has since worked on large multinational accounts as creative director in major international agencies as well as for small businesses.
Sarla has considerable publishing experience. She was the editor of The Advertiser Group of newspapers in Swansea, campaigning for the small business. She became familiar with the workings of over 300 microbusinesses over the six years of writing articles for them. Afterwards, Sarla then became a consultant to the Food Liaison Committee of Swansea City Council, editing and producing the bi-monthly Swansea Food News magazine to promote the catering industry.
Since then, Sarla has edited numerous publications dedicated to the microbusiness. She also founded SME business support clubs and events such as Industry Week and West Wales Exporters Associations.
Sarla has a wealth of experience in teaching, having taught post graduate students across the globe. Students in Sophia College Bombay, College of Advertising and Journalism benefitted from her expertise in Advertising Copy and Media. She later lectured in the Communications, Advertising and Media post-graduate diploma course, in Gwent Business College, Newport. Additionally, Sarla has frequently lectured at marketing workshops for the business community, mainly for government and academic bodies.
In 1981, Sarla founded Markmaid, offering clients a wide range of services from complete brand management to marketing proposals and strategies, product promotion, advertising and public relations campaigns.
Papers by Sarla Langdon
Sarla has written a series of practitioner papers on the subject of the barriers to start-up and growth experienced by microbusinesses in Wales. These papers examine the emerging needs of microbusinesses and whether current levels of business support, both in the private and the public sector, meet these new needs. Sarla’s papers have been published at policy conferences across the UK.
Click paper titles to read
- The Influence of Information Technology on the Growth of the Microbusiness. Sarla Langdon. Paper published at 24th ISBA National Small Firms Conference: Exploring the Frontiers of Small Business
- The Needs of New Generations of Ethnic Minority Entrepreneurs – is it time for a policy change?
Sarla Langdon. Presented at 2002 ISBA Conference
- ‘The Consultant’s Perspective’. Talk presented by Sarla Langdon, 9.10.03 at the Welsh Development Agency’s Consultant’s Conference, Treforest.
- A Realistic Review of the Efficacy of Micro PR Practitioners vis a vis the Needs of Microbusiness Clients. Paper by Sarla Langdon for Chartered Institute of Public Relations Conference. Lincoln 2005
- Business Birth-rate Strategy and Economic Development: Focus on the Microbusiness Paper presented by Sarla Langdon for 29th ISBE Conference, Cardiff 2006
- The Cyber Ceiling. A Report On Gender Imbalance In Information Technology by Sarla Langdon for Swansea University, Computer Science Dept : IT Wales Business Club Reports: Examining the social and economic effect of ICT on Small / Microbusiness March 2007
- BY SARLA LANGDON for the Downing St Feedback Forum Dec 2010 THE ROLE OF THE MICROBUSINESS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PROCUREMENT POLICY
- ANATOMY OF A MICROBUSINESS By Sarla Langdon May 2011
- The Microbusiness – Mainstay of the Welsh Economy By Sarla Langdon April 2012|
- Microbusiness Handout
Tel: 01792 360042
Address: The Old School House, Nottage Road Newton, Swansea/Abertawe SA3 4SU
If you’re interested in what Markmaid can do for your business, or if you have any questions about our company or services, provide us with your contact information and we will be in touch shortly.